Monday, April 12, 2010

39 Weeks, aka, 1 week to go!


This is my waiting face. Sans makeup... sans jewelry, sans work, hair in a messy pony...

I wondered what it would be like to not be working. This will be my second week off of work. It is a weird thing, I must admit. It will take some getting used to. I miss the structure, the routine, and the people. I struggle a little more than I though I would with motivation to get moving on my very long "What to Do Before I am Due" list. Thankfully, the essentials are completed. The hospital bag is packed. The laundry is washed, and the baby's things are organized. Joaquin accomplished several painting projects around the house, and today I bought some lovely plants for the back patio. We hope to get in contact with a realtor this week to discuss when to put this condo on the market. We are thinking mid-Mayish. Is that crazy?

So, I keep being told that I am "small" for full-term. Like, when I go to the Target, or the grocery store, and church... I must say, I like hearing that a lot more than being told I am "SO BIG." But people, I am not small, though I appreciate the comment.

I must tell you about our very happy news. We got a new mattress for FREE. This has changed our lives, friends. Almost three years ago, we bought a new bed from Sam's on the friday after our wedding. We originally had thought maybe we could make do with my old full-size bed, but that proved not to be so. Ahhhh, idealistic young love... Anywho, we bought this plush memory-foam pillow topped Queen mattress set at Sam's with wedding gift money and we thought we had died and gone to heaven. For about 8 months. Then the memory foam did not seem to rise as well as it used to. And Joaquin started to complain... First I must say, this man hardly ever complains about much. But that mattress? Practically every night for the past two years he has mumbled and grumbled, moaned and groaned about that dang mattress. Then I had a bright idea--why don't we try to return the mattress to Sam's and see what they do? I mean, Costco has this awesome return policy, so Sam's ought to as well. Joaquin doubted. Well friends, I am here to say that this last sweet Saturday got us an exchange for a brand new, much better mattress and over a hundred buckaroos in store credit. The new bed is awesome. We sleep like little angels. And Joaquin gets up so refreshed that he sings all the way to work with a huge smile on his face. Okay, that last part is not true. But he does sleep a lot better. So, yay.

So these are some thoughts on being a "stay at home" so far:
1. I need to find people.

2. I cannot wait to have Max here so I have more purpose.

3. I love having dinner ready for Joaquin, and all the extra time we get to spend together in the evenings.

4. I hate the neighbor's yippy chihuahua dog. I used to hate it just every other day or so, but now that I'm here all the live-long day, I want to string that yippy dog up by its ugly big ears. There, I said it. I feel much better.

5. Shopping is so different during the day, and much less stressful.

6. My home is so much cleaner!

7. It is not nearly as fun to be home without my husband. I eagerly await his arrival each evening.

8. Daytime TV is the pits. Like, gagarooo.

Thoughts on being 39 weeks pregnant:
1. When will I ever be able to bend over comfortably again?

2. I cannot recall what my feet and ankles look like without swelling.

3. It is going to be really strange to no longer feel Max kicking away at my belly. I think I will miss that a lot.

4. I miss spicy foods and adding Tapatio to whatever I wanted. Antacids are a new pal.

5. I think that I won't miss maternity clothes too much.

6. Will I ever have this baby? Sometimes I wonder.

And finally, a Public Service Announcement: I bought these sunflower yellow sandals at Target today on clearance for $6.48!!! They have them in multiple colors, friends! Aren't they so cute! Go get a pair and pretend that it is summer... Or if you live here in So Cal, you don't have to pretend!

7 comments:

april said...

I can't believe it's been 39 weeks! Wow, that flew fast. :) And thanks for the PSA about the sandals.

I hear you on the yippy chihuahua dog. People who leave their dogs outside all day shouldn't have them.

Maureen said...

I know you get sick of hearing it (because I did too), but cherish these last few days of just you and hubby. I know it's boring and uncomfortable and it feels like you just bounce off the walls (at home and in Target), but new baby stress is HARD and you'll never get these last moments back of just you and Joaquin. Once Cooper arrived and we were up all hours of hte night and I was in the midst of a brutal C recovery i missing my me time!

All that being said, I'm only 34 weeks and I'm ready for this baby to come RIGHT NOW! 8 months pregnant and chasing around a not yet 2 year old is exhausting in ways I never could have imagined.

Can't wait to see pictures when he comes!

Sherri Price said...

It made me sad to read your wonderful story about the new mattress, instead of hearing about it on Monday morning! BUT that is so cool!!! I think you are the bargain queen! I miss you alot!

Amanda said...

Wow, one week to go! Can you believe it? It probably feels like you've been pregnant forever, yet you can't believe a whole person has grown inside of you in 9 short months!

2 Things:

Way to go on the mattress! Oh yeah!

Yes, June 14th - 18th will work and I verified with Kathy - the airport she hopes we can use is John Wayne. I asked her to round up any info I'll need to pass on to you so Joaquin can book our flights, so I'm assuming she will give that to me in the next few days. Yahoo! I'm really coming!!

PS ~ I need to know your personal email address since I can no longer email you at Biola. :)

Shannan Martin said...

Cuuute sandals! Cuter price. :)

I loved reading your thoughts on staying at home. That sounds like me when I went from working normal to working from home (and I didn't have kiddos yet...)

Sounds like you've got even bigger changes coming your way. Look out! :)

R.A. said...

So I keep coming back here looking for pics of the baby...I hope you're able to post some soon, because I'm sure he'll be here soon!

Unknown said...

I've been, well, living life and not blogging but oh my how time has passed for you!!! I cannot believe it's been 39 weeks!!! Wowzers! So exciting, You look beautiful, sans it all. Yay!