Thursday, July 28, 2011

Now That I'm a Momma...

From a recent trip to San Fran with only my sweet husband. Max was with Grammy.

I spend a lot of time talking about how Max has changed over these last 15 months of life, but only occasionally do I dwell on the effects that his life has had on me. Namely, how I've changed... I was unprepared for many of these things, and now sound like an "old pro" when I say things like, "You will never learn these things from a book," and "You learn as you go along." Only, I'm not a pro, I'm only beginning.

As one who has survived a full year of motherhood, here are a few of the things, some silly, that I have discovered about myself...
  • I have mom ears. And they can hear Max whisper in a wind tunnel. Joaquin thinks it is a super-power.
  • I know how to play like a little boy wants to play. With trucks and making loud noises, building things designed only for destruction, bouncing on couches, and playing "rough."
  • I can buy time with Max by offering him a hand-full of bread pieces to eat.
  • I can and do take opportunity to rest when he naps.
  • I can be satisfied at the end of the day having done hardly one thing off my mental "to-do" list knowing that my little guy was well cared for.
  • Making plans for the day has become easier. Of course, Max being older and more independent helps with that. But in the beginning, I struggled so much with the endless amount of decisions that must be made at every other moment. I just wanted someone to tell me exactly what to do. I find it easier to juggle these decisions, though I'm still working on priorities.
  • I am not an island. The support from other moms, and from family is essential to my mental well-being on those hard days.
  • And following that, or perhaps it should precede it: I need my husband. His love, provision, encouragement, and offering a helping hand is like water for my soul. I really cannot do this momma thang without him. Period.
  • At the end of a day I can struggle to find anything to talk about other than what Max did and said when... *sigh* I vowed to never be this woman.
  • Following suit, I am humbled. Daily, sometime hourly. The helpless and vulnerable feelings that accompanies motherhood somedays can really put a gal in her place.
  • I finally feel like a woman. That sounds weird I know, but I don't know how else to describe it. Having a child made me a woman. It has stretched me and grown me and shaped me in a way that nothing else has. Prior to Max, I felt like a girl that played house with her charming new husband.
  • I am less concerned with messes, and enjoy watching my boy explore the world around him. If that means that I have to sweep it up, or put every item back in the diaper bag for the third time today, than so be it. I want to foster his curiosity or love of learning how things work. And it is easier than I thought it would be, to sacrifice a neat and orderly home for this.
  • I will never "arrive." And what I mean by that is, I have become more flexible. You must learn as a mom that when you think you and baby have mastered something, like eating or a sleep schedule, it can quickly change the next week. If you accept this readily, you will be saved hours of frustration.
  • I can take immense joy from seemingly ridiculous events. For example: "He pooped!--Ohhh, GOOD BOY!"or, "He finished eating the ENTIRE cheesestick!" or, "He napped for three hours today!!"
  • I have experienced the ability to love deeply, sweetly, extravagantly, without limits in a way that only a parent loving one's child can. My heart has grown, and somedays feels fit to burst. And I am amazed at how God loves us in this way. I understand a bit more of His love for us. And again I am humbled. And oh, the sacrifice!
I will hopefully post again soon about Max, and our wonderful new home. Both have had many changes as well in the past couple months!

4 comments:

Emily Maurer said...

so glad to finally read an update from you guys! Sounds like the Lord is shaping you more into a Proverbs 31 woman. That's what Ive found the most in my journey as a mama...and it is my JOY to be a servant to my family. Love ya Jess!

The Garcias said...

Thanks, Emily! I am glad to finally get an update on here too! :) Blessings on you as you serve your hubby and three kiddos!

Amanda said...

You are so good at articulating the ways motherhood has changed you. Sounds like if fits real well. :)

Amanda said...

You are so good at articulating yourself. Sounds like the mommy hat fits quite well. :) Loves