You know one thing about marriage that I never expected to be an issue of contention/stress?: food. To young wives (and those engaged) everywhere, take note. Joaquin and I really enjoy food, and it shows, if ya knowwhatImean! And I know you do. And he and I have strong opinions on many things in life, not excluding what should be on the dinner table, and on hand in our pantry cabinet. I used to take offense a lot more than I do now, so we are free to discuss and analyze it. haha! He and I have found in our almost five years of marriage that we like different things, have different tastes. Not a real shocker, huh? In the beginning this really bothered the peace person in me. "Are we at odds over this casserole? I love THIS casserole! My mom always made it THIS way!" Yes, a huge part of all this can be drawn directly back to how we were raised. He is a salty, savory, intense flavor kinda guy. I am drawn to sour and maybe more bitter things. I have had to learn, and still am in the middle of this, that foods that make me get excited may not necessarily thrill his heart (and I love the guy, so I want to try to do that, espec as food is a love language for him). For example, if I want him to not be disappointed after I slaved away in the kitchen, I should probably steer clear of a lemony, balsamic vinegar, sour cream with capers and artichoke hearts sorta
I am learning that a little organization in the recipe department will help me out a great deal, especially for future planning. That way I won't get stalled at the grocery store and only buy familiar items that I "feel" I need on hand. I was thinking the other day about certain pantry items that I use rarely, but feel COMPELLED to have in my cupboards and I trace it back to my mother. (That's right mom.) It is pretty funny how many of these things I continue to buy (or did) simply because my mom always had them in her kitchen! Let us do a test, mom. How many of the items on the list below are very familiar? And oh my, what do these items say about us?! :)
Crisco
chocolate chips (if I run out, I am frantic)
brown sugar
pancake mix (tho we only have pancakes maybe once every other month?)
maple syrup
JELLO chocolate pudding mix
tapioca pudding mix
taco seasoning mix (after marrying J, who has a palette for more authentic Mex flavors, I rarely use this)
croutons
peanut butter
coffee (OF COURSE)
Rosarita refried beans (not allowed in my kitchen now ;))
sour cream
These are just a few of the things off the top of my head. There is a theme, no? Perhaps a little on the sweet and "comfort food" side of things. I must make mention that my mother is a wonderful cook, and that her style of cooking has always included well rounded, delicious meals. I endeavor to be as good a cook as she is someday! The above list is really neither here nor there, I just find it interesting to reflect on what are initiators to behavior, and what things can be drawn back directly to the way one is raised.
So, just a little reflection here about food, as I hear my toddler boy screaming out from the next room. He has thrown his beloved "Nee-nee" (snuggie) overboard. I hear him saying, "I WAN IT. Oh NEE NEE. I WAD (want) IT." No nap today, I'm afraid.
2 comments:
Hey Jess! Thanks for the comment on the blog. Are you planning on coming to Jamie's wedding? Rachael and I will be there as well as our mom. We'd love to see you.
Emily- We are planning on going to the reception, but it will be tricky. It will have to be a short turn around trip, as Joaquin is preaching the next day. But we will try our best! I look forward to seeing everyone!
Post a Comment