While I am typing this, my husband stands bravely out on the patio with a broom handle in hand. Tonight we have a possum trying to eat the leftovers on our barbecue grill. I was quite freaked out at first, but to further prove my girlie-ness (as if that were necessary), once Joaquin wacked it pretty good and I saw it curled up in the corner of the patio, my heart was broken. It is a nasty rodent! But somehow possums are a little bit cute and winsome. As long as they are staying off barbecues, out of trash cans, and not growling.
4 comments:
Eeeks! This reminded me of a time when I was about 9 and a Momma possum and her baby took shelter in our garage. It took my parents about 3 hours, two boxes and various brooms to get the protective mother and her baby out of the garage. My poor Mother, bless her, was so brave helping my Dad and I stood on the other side of the door listening to her scream in fear. Then, once it was all over, they just laughed...but they can be nasty little buggers. I love that you felt bad for it though...I would have too.
Haahaa! I love your story and Jociegal's too!! Now I'll share my possum story. One day I was driving and eeekk-gadd someone had hit a momma possum, however the babies were just fine. Some upstanding gentleman stopped (not sure if he was the one who tagged the momma) and gathered up the babies out of the middle of the street in a little cardboard box and transported them to safety. I too felt a surge of sadness knowing this momma was gone, but at least her babies where safe!
Gross! And what is it with guys beating rodents? I watched (using the term "watched" very loosely) one once beat a possum nearly to death with a rake. :( Why do they like these things?!?!
Possum story! I too was about 9 and was taking a diaper to the trash on the side of the house for my mom, at dusk, nearly pitch black outside. I could barely see and all of a sudden this humongous thing runs from the fence towards the house and it's massive. And it looks at me and hisses! Did I mention it was gargantuan. I was petrified of this hissing thing with the glowing eyes. I threw the diaper at it and ran away...
Post a Comment