Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Day in Our Life

I have successfully cleaned our messy kitchen, even swept the floors, and now grant myself permission to finally sit down and type a little. I thought it might be fun to write a bit about our day yesterday, because it was fairly commonplace, and I use this blog as a journal of sorts.

6:30 AM Max is awake, so therefor, so am I. I know, what luxury! I am grateful to be able to sleep in some, unlike my working friends. I take Max down to the kitchen and plop him in his highchair and he waits happily for his morning milk.

As he drinks away, I check emails and make coffee in my french press. Five minutes later Max is done with bottle, and wants to be free! Mornings are some of his happiest times. This makes it so much easier on me, as I am not such a fan of them!

7:00 AM Hand over baby supervision to Joaquin and hop in the shower! This morning I have a doctor appt, and must be out of the house earlier than usual. Get ready while Max wrestles with dad.

7:45 AM Breakfast for Max, a little oatmeal with pears. Then breakfast for myself. I already cannot recall what I ate. Oh! I had a leftover pork chop and potatoes from dinner the night before. In order to last thru the morning, this preg-o absolutely must have some good protein in the morning, especially if I'm not home to have first and second breakfast!

8:00 AM Scramble to get the diaper bag together so I can fly out the door. Diapers, juice, graham crackers, snuggie, cheese stick--check!

8:25 AM Pull into Joaquin's parent's driveway, ready to drop off Max. Hand him over to his smiling grandpa, ready to "play" while momma goes to the doctor ALONE. Yay! Max is not so great at waiting patiently anymore, so I try to find other options when I have appts so I can wait in peace.

9:30 AM Finished with dermatologist appt in Pico, hop in car to head to Target pharmacy.

9:45 AM Arrive at Target, sans Max. Hear the "Hallelujah chorus." Pick out a few Crayola board books for Max from the dollar bin that are marked 50% off. Score! See women showing off their findings from Target's new Missoni line of clothing and home items. Watch in quiet horror. They are some of the ugliest things I have ever seen at Target. No offense... I find a lovely dark blue throw pillow on clearance for $4.98!! I swoon. I skip! What joy is mine! All mine! I carry the pillow around with me, internally at odds, knowing full well that husband does not approve of new pillow purchases, especially with new tighter budget... *moan* Carefully place pillow back on clearance rack and walk away. Slowly.

10:15 AM Retrieve Max from his grandparents. Arrive to find that their living room floor is absolutely covered with toys. Max had fun, obviously.

10:35 AM Swing by Fresh&Easy to pick up a few essentials for dinner this eve. Discover coffee ice cream on sale. Have brief moral dilemma, then end up throwing said treat in my cart. Run towards check stand before I can change my mind.

11 ish AM Max plays quietly with his blocks while I get our lunch ready. Sweet sweet boy.

11:30 AM Max is quite done playing nicely. Blocks are flying thru the living room. Must intervene before they hit the TV and we both get in trouble!

11:45 AM Feed Max. Today's refried pinto beans with cheese, one of his favorite things, end up all over his face, in his hair, in neck wrinkles, and all over my clean floor. *sigh*

12:20 Clean up the Mess, and put him down for a nap.

12:30 Finish eating my lunch, tidy up kitchen, read a few blogs, then head upstairs for some quiet time. Work on my daily homework from the book of Acts for women's Bible study.

1:15 PM Decide to take a nap myself.

1:25 PM Change my mind about said nap, and head downstairs to vacuum the living room and text my sister-in-law. She is waiting to hear back after an interview on whether or not she got the job. This would be a great position for her family! I continue to clean house, getting ready for friends to come for dinner tonight.

2:45 PM Max wakes up, ready to undo all my hard work! Yay!

3-something. Joaquin comes home early. His laptop for work was broken and is away for repair, so he came home to send emails. At some point I spend a little time chatting with a couple friends online.

3:45 ish PM Friend/coworker Joel arrives to meet with Joaquin regarding uptown campus stuff. Max plays out on the back patio in his water table.

4:15 PM I set the table and make it pretty. This is one of my favorite parts of entertaining.

4:30 PM I start working on dinner. Much chopping to do, as my favorite Mexican stew "Quizo" (unsure of spelling, pronounced Gee-soh) is on the menu. Chop zucchini, tomatoes, white onion, celery, potatoes.... Max decides to man-handle his water table and tips it over, spilling out the water all over the porch. He is quite pleased with himself, and comes in to tell me about it. "Digga-digga ph-bltt ah oh!" ... Thankful that happened outside. Oh-so thankful.

5:15 PM Joaquin begins the cooking process while I take a break. I feed Max his dinner and in spite of starting early, dinner is running behind. Our friends text to say they are running late. *phew*

6:30 PM The friends arrive :). This was their first time visiting our new place so Joaquin gives a house tour while I clean up Max and his dinner.

6:45 PM We finally sit down to eat and I'm famished. Joaquin prays. I hold squirming Max in my lap then decide we all would be better off if I put him to bed. I leave steamy hot bowl of Quizo goodness and Mexican rice to get Max off to slumberland.

7 ish. Return to stuff face. Mmmmmm good.

7:45 PM After dinner we retire to the living room to play a couple rounds of Sequence, one of my fav games :). Joaquin and I win one and lose one. We have hot baked brownies and cookies & cream ice cream. I die. :) Then comes political discussion. Joaquin turns on the tea party debate on CNN from last night. He fast forwards to only the good parts, and cuts out about two thirds of the debate. Friends leave. We ignore dirty dishes and kitchen chaos.

10 PM In spite of being completely exhausted, I decided against my better judgement to stay up and watch the new episode of "Parenthood." It's the only sitcom we watch--we like the writing and the characters. And I LOVE the set design.

11:05 PM Crash in bed. Oh so tired.

Wow, if you read all that, I'm impressed. And if not, no worries. This post was mainly for family record :). I promise to try real hard to get pix of our place up here, Manda. That just means I must have a clean-ish house, empty photo card, and charged battery.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh, dear me! I'm tired after reading through your day! You get a lot done before I even get out of my robe. :)

Nice restraint at Target. It's hard to do. I found a maternity cardi there today and did not exercise as much restraint as you.

Quizo sounds like a yummy first cousin to Albondigas. Need to try!

Shannan Martin said...

I read it ALL. :) I love these posts! And here's a head-scratcher for ya: Silas shuns tv AND books. Ack.

ps - Yes, totally FB my stuff! And friend me while you're at it. ;)