Monday, March 26, 2012

Holy Smokes! How Time Flies!



I have greatly desired to sit down here in this space and type out our happenings lately. But there are always five other priorities that come first, it seems. Today, the house is clean (ish), the washer and dryer both working away, the Acts homework completed, both boys are napping, I have had my shower and am dressed (woot!), and dinner is already made (I made a pot roast last night). Sweet! For my task-oriented, list checker-offer self, this day is already a true victory.

For those of you in the dark, we now have a seven week old! Hot dog! My last post I was still very pregnant. I would type out the birth story for you here, but honestly, I am a bit tired of telling it, as I have told it so many times already. So, in short, I had a baby and it went very fast. I only had/felt contractions for about an hour and a half (after the doc broke my water) and five-ish minutes of pushing and out came this gorgeous little man. Ohhh, Isaiah Justus. You will always have my heart. And yes, the newborn stage is always a bit hard, but really? I have a very good baby. If you ever hear me complaining of him, just give me a slap. Because he is good and sweet and eats and sleeps like a little champ. Bless.his.heart. His days are full of doing the newborn thing, and he started smiling at me at 4 weeks, I am so lucky! And now, when he is happy and full and oh-so content, he likes to talk to whoever is near enough to listen to his sweet baby voice. I just melt into a puddle of momma pride. He is quite the vocal one.



And Max? Oh my dear sweet firstborn son. He is changing so fast I can hardly keep up. He is putting words together at such a pace that I will be startled and look at him in wonder and ask, "Who are you? And who stole away my silly curly-headed baby?" He is now full-blown boy, and I am left having to get used to it, because from what I hear, once they grow up, they just keep at it. Max has his days where he is a tad jealous of "bay-beee braa-DER," but all in all, he is ok. I think this is in large part thanks to his general good-naturedness, as well as the absolutely amazing community of friends and family that God has blessed us with. Sunday is hands-down Max's favorite day of the week, as he gets smothered with attention from his adoring fans at church. And then that evening, he gets to hang out with a smaller, very wonderful group of the same peoples. When they pile into our small home, his little face lights up with, "Oh welcome, oh good, you have all come to see ME!" Since Max does not hurt for attention or affection, he does quite well. I will, however, have to save a separate post just for his current exploits. This boy can really get in trouble (with a capital "T") due to his fervent and sometimes all-consuming curiosity. I was never much a believer of spanking until we hit this stage.


I am often asked what is the biggest change I have thus far encountered with baby #2. By far, I had no idea how much I would miss my Max. As he grows at light speed in front of my eyes, I am often (at this early stage), consumed with caring for and especially, feeding Isaiah. I so miss my one-on-one time with those sparkly blue eyes. Joaquin has been amazing really, going far above the call of duty, in helping care for Max. They have developed a sweet bedtime routine that does not really include me. And this is GOOD, I know, because I can get other things done, and care for the wee one. But it leaves me longing for Max. So sometimes I sneak in and kiss that curly top before he falls asleep. And other times I cast aside the chores and just laugh it up with Max while his brother is sleeping. Max has a great sense of humor and I love a good belly laugh with him.

I would have to say that so far at least, this transition to family of four has been much easier than people have warned. Gosh, some people can be so passionate in their warnings about this and that, "OHHHH, just YOU wait! Just you wait until they join forces AGAINST YOU!" To that I say, "Well we shall just have to see when we get there, huh?" Because in spite of a lack in sleep, I feel so incredibly happy and blessed, more than ever in love with my incredible husband, and oh-so thankful for the sons in our care.


No comments: