Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Grace Before


This was a very hard week for our family, due entirely to the stomach flu taking up residence in our home. My little boys struggled so much, they have never been so sick. I hated to see them that way.  My days felt so long, filled with cleaning and comforting, and honestly, fretting over the state of my skinny-bodied two-year old lethargically sprawled on the living room floor. In the midst of a really bad day I was reminded to find those things to be grateful for. I just love the quote from Chesterton above, I discovered it years ago and it rings true. I believe that a regular thankful spirit of gratitude is not only what God wants me to be about, but it also buoys my spirit when I feel like I can't take another moment of babies crying.

  • I was never more thankful for our very own washer and dryer, conveniently located, and in great working order. What a luxury that we take for granted.
  • For new friends who heard we were sick and brought us food, even though we were too sick to eat it. Bless their hearts, we have such a great community of friends.
  • We have so many clothes, towels, and blankets. Our material possessions show how God provides for us abundantly. 
  • I am super grateful that it was just the stomach flu, and not something more serious. One week of misery has given me compassion for parents that have kiddos that are sick with far worse and for far longer.
  • For time to snuggle, and run my fingers through curls. Max was still enough for me to stroke his soft hair, and trace the angles of his face. I marveled at that face, without babyfat to keep it round. He is all big boy now, and rarely slows down enough to let me hug him. These days go by way too fast. 
  • For health insurance and a great pediatrician which shows both that my husband has a good job and that we live in a country which affords us good healthcare (for now perhaps). 
  • There was some unexpected freedom from the reality of a busy schedule that came with having to stay home with sick littles. The only thing pressing on my "To Do List" was take care of the kids, and try to keep the house from disaster. While I certainly missed my community and being able to get out of the house, there is a certain beauty to slowing down and staying home. Our office has never been so well organized!
  • Ok, and one superficial thing I am grateful for this week is this flu helped me to lose a few more unwanted pounds and I can now fit comfortably in some jeans that I have not worn since before Max was born. Now if I can only keep them off over the holidays...

No comments: