Friday, October 1, 2010

Things recently that have changed my life...

I am very comfortable making lists lately. When a day gets overwhelming, I find it quite a productive exercise to count blessings.

1. Max no longer hates the car. Praise Jesus! In fact, he seems to almost like it and he will even fall peacefully asleep if we are driving during nap time. PRAISE JESUS!

2. We live 20 minutes from an IKEA. That's right, you heard me. Twenty minutes. At our old place it was 45 to an hour depending on traffic on one or all of the three freeways it took to get me there.

3. We are now almost exclusively bottle-feeding. I can almost cry for joy in thinking of how much that has changed my state of mind. Nursing was so stinkin' hard. All the time. Every feeding felt like a battle, and it made me a little kookoo. I found myself complaining all the time, and I hated that. I get sick of my own bad attitudes, "Jessica, put a sock in it!"

4. Not that we go all that often, but we have a new family doctor. Less than one mile away! I think on our next visit I am going to walk. And the new doc is so patient and thorough and everything a new mom needs.

5. My boy is now eating solid foods. So, umm, that changes a lot of things. First off, the diapers. Whewwwyy, boy! And also, meal time is not quite so simple. Yesterday he tried some sweet potatoes. Not sure how much he loved them, but he did eat them all. I just cannot believe we have arrived at this stage already. My baby is growing up!! I talk to Max a lot, since he is all I gots a lot of the time... And yesterday I told him to stop growing so fast, "Max, honey, I mean it... It's great that you are sucking down all these sweet tators, but really, you can take a break now and stay almost 6 months, forever."

6. Baby sitters. Twice this week someone outside our family has taken care of my child. It is an odd feeling, but also freeing. It feels at moments like I left my arm behind and I don't know what to do with myself without him. And other moments I think, "Wow, that arm was really slowing me down!"

7. My husband really loves his job. So, of course that changes everything about our family life. More contentment, more peace, more energy.

8. Baby laughter. Straight up, Max's laugh is one of the greatest joys of my life. And he loves to laugh these days. Especially if you are right up in his sweet little face and tickling his armpits.

2 comments:

Shannan Martin said...

Baby laughs!!! What could be better? Also, I love the name Max. :)

Misha said...

SOOO jealous about that Ikea. : ) And so touched by your sweet comment. Thank you so much for taking the time to say that! You are so sweet.