Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ruby Slippers

In celebration of National Women's History Month, today I am attending a special luncheon here at Biola. It is titled "In Her Shoes: Walking in the Footsteps of Women Around the World." I am looking forward to it, I even wore my own ruby slippers today!

I really enjoy learning how women around the globe do life every day. Because of the miracle of directTV, I can often be found watching documentaries on what people eat, how they cook, where they get their clothes, their water... More recently I have watched shows about birthing practices and how women handle their new born babies in different countries. It is all very fascinating! I love finding common bonds with these women across the seas. We are not all that different. It just depends on our education, how we've been raised, and our resources. I love seeing how women "make do" with niceties that I see as just commonplace. For example: the laundry machines. You know how I love mine. My feelings about doing the laundry every week would change dramatically if I had to do them all by hand.

I borrowed the picture below from Kelsey --I just adore the colors of saris! This image is tiled across my desktop this week and helps me to remember to pray for my female friends that are spread over the globe working for the Lord. Specifically these ladies are Kelsey, Jessica, Suzie, and Crystal. It is a blessing to know them and to watch the work that God is doing through them.


No comments: