Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Life with a Newborn, Pt 1

It is a lot harder than I thought it would be, though in a different way. Max is a good sleeper at night, so I am getting good rest physically. I expected that there would be transitions, and there certainly are. There are good days and not so good days. Apart from missing coworkers and the stability that the structure of my job brought and keeping a house cleaned and ready to show at any minute, little Max's personality is perhaps the largest challenge by far. He is hot and cold, happy then screaming. I guess I thought that Joaquin and I would produce an easy-going baby such as ourselves. Ha HA. Oh, expectations will get you every time!! But I know without a doubt that God has something to teach us in this. I certainly have never prayed quite so fervently for help from the Lord as I do these days. :)

But do not worry about us, we are all learning. There are less tears these days and more smiles. Max's sweet smiles make all of it so worth it. In the wee hours of the morning, after that early morning feeding, Max can be sweet as can be. His coos melt my heart and I take my time holding him close and rocking him a bit longer, delaying his return to the bassinet.

Last night was the first time that we decided to move Max to the crib in the room down the hall. He won't stay there, as we have guests coming for the next week, but we want to teach him to sleep in the crib. Joaquin could also really use the uninterrupted sleep, especially since he has a new earlier work schedule. This move proved more difficult than we thought. Not for Max, he seemed unfazed and at peace in his new location... but rather hard on me. I could not hear all of his grunts and funny sounds unless I turned up the sound on the monitor and held it close to my head. Joaquin insisted that I keep the volume turned down really low saying, "The whole point is to NOT have to hear him. If you turn up the volume, we might as well have him in here." To which I responded, "Well, okay... We can bring him back *sheepish grin*..."

The little guy is crying. It's time to feed him... again... More on feeding and expectations in my next post :).

3 comments:

Maureen said...

So glad you are blogging again!

Eric and Alissa said...

Ah, Jess...I am particularly appreciative of the blog post right BEFORE you gave birth. I too, cannot remember what my cankles...I mean ankles, looked like.
...so nice to read what your experiences have been like these last couple months. Keep 'em up.

Anonymous said...

Hello friend, I wanted to offer a suggestion that was helpful for me. When mine were tiny, I would put them down for daytime naps in the crib always, as I was roaming about the house anyway. Overnight, I'd put them in the bassinet always, obviously for the easy access. That way, by the time they were 3-4 mos and ready to make the permanent move to the crib, it wasn't a big thing, just a minor adjustment to a routine they were already familiar with. Saying that I feel I must tell you that I borderline hated any and all "advice" good or bad when I was a brand new mommy, it was just one of the many things that got on my post-partum hormonal nerves. So feel free to tell me to shove it (subliminally), you won't hurt my feelings :) I know you and Joaquin are doing a great job and I hope the condo sells really soon!