Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Interview

I was asked by a student yesterday if I would be open to doing an interview with her for the student-run campus newspaper. I hesitantly agreed, knowing full-well that students are notorious for printing things that are not true to context, or sloppily misquoting people to get a point across. But this girl was sweet, and her smile and soft voice convinced me to trust her. Call me a foolish girl.

The topic?... Interracial Marriage. (Ha!) Generally speaking, I am quite happy and open to talk about my marriage. But something about that particular topic smacks Agenda, I'm afraid. When I told Joaquin what the interview would be about he just laughed. I asked my boss if he minded that I take a few moments to answer this student's questions, and he laughed. His response was, "Oh. I guess you are, huh? I don't even think of you two as an interracial marriage." Exactly. I must clarify to say that my husband is indeed proud of his heritage and his family ties, though it does not define him. I have heard him say, "I am foremost a follower of Christ..." Other things, his ethnicity included, fall after that. It was how he was raised.

So, the Interview... I could tell pretty quickly what this little reporter gal was getting at. She wanted to know our differences, the adjustments I have had to make in marriage due to these differences. I was actually hard-pressed to identify these. I guess my man isn't as "Mexican" as some. He does not speak the language... to which the reporter gasped... Did my parents have a hard time with Joaquin being Mexican? Gosh, I couldn't even say. I think they had a more difficult time with how quickly we were married, and how little time they had to get to know him. Understandably. I have a somewhat difficult time identifying things that are specific to Mexican culture, or was it just his family's ways? They certainly are warm and hospitable and very family-oriented. And affectionate. Oh, and the FOOD. Boy, do they do Mexican food well. I am a Californian, and have ever been an appreciator of that cuisine, it has just grown some. I think I may have been a disappointment to my Interviewer. Race just really isn't an issue in our marriage. Besides the fact that I have demanded that Joaquin give our children his skin-color: milky white in the winter and chocolate brown in the summer. A girl always wants what she cannot have herself, right?

I'll let you know if this article makes me famous.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Isn't it funny how people pick out differences in your relationship that you didn't notice? Or you don't care about? It seems that the days of "bi-racial" relationship hysteria are dead and gone...

Michele said...

Jessica-- I have honestly NEVER thought of your marriage as inter-racial... EVER! That's almost wierd to me that they picked you!!! But, don't doubt that I'll be picking up a copy of the Chimes!!!

Eric and Alissa said...

I heart interracial marriage.