Hi all. I've missed you.
My mom said that it has been too long since I made an update on here, and I agree! So many goings-on, I have had a hard time synthesizing. Forgive me if I talk your ear off here...
We are starting to adjust to the reality of a new semester. Its weird for us to be away from each other for two whole nights in a row, but with Joaquin's class schedule, thats the way it is this semester. We see each other in the mornings before work and late at night before I'm ready to call it a night! But hey, those are two nights that I do not have to worry about cooking dinner! I really enjoy cooking, but when I have time. Not rushed and watching the clock.
The class (Perspectives on the World Christian Movement) that I am taking on Thursday nights at church is blowing my mind. Really, its incredible. I feel like so many dots are being connected. Its incredibly exciting, and to be honest, somewhat intimidating. Have you ever gone through something that you know is really impact-full, but at the end you feel like you are now responsible to DO something about your new knowledge? I have a feeling that I will not be off the hook come week 16 of this course. I feel like something is coming toward me and I need to be open to it. Sorry for the vague-ness, but I have yet to sort it out myself. Perhaps I will give you more info as things come into clearer focus.
Our home has been a nest lately, a place of refuge for some hurting friends. Though my heart is heavy for our friends, there is hardly anything more in the world that makes me so pleased as our home being used. I have strongly desired for so long that my home be a place of love, of acceptance, and of healing. I am blessed beyond belief that I married a man that values the same and that its actually happening.
I am so thankful for our home. Even with all the work yet to do, we regularly comment on how much we enjoy being there. That, and WAHOO for the tax refund headed our direction!! :)
Speaking of, we had 16 and a half (baby included) people at our home yesterday for a Superbowl party. What a fun time. I must admit that this is the first superbowl game that I have ever watched from beginning to end. I have my husband to thank for that, I guess. Since he bought his 42 inch high-def tv, well, it makes everything PRETTY. haha. Even football. My remark yesterday was, "Ooooo! The colors! Look how green the grass is..." I love having parties at our place.
This past Sunday marked my first day working in our church nursery. Babies!!! So fun. I love me some babies, I think I may have mentioned that before... On Sunday I shared the task of watching five lil ones under a year old with a fun gal from the college group, Andrea. I may rethink my desire to have a set of twins. One of the sweet and delicious babies in the nursery with me was little Johanna. Oh MY, she is such a happy little gal! She is the niece of my wonderful friend Jessica who is serving the Lord in Malawi. Because her auntie and I share the same name, I find it of utmost importance that I tell Johanna how much her auntie loves her and misses her. Johanna's parents have now joined our lifegroup and we are very happy about that!
My mom is coming to visit us in 17 days. I have lots of plans. Lots and lots. Probably too many to fit into three days time, but I am certain we will have fun, whether we complete the list or not! I'm just really happy that she gets to see our new home for the first time!
I have not shared this yet with many of you, for I haven't known exactly what to say about it. The fact is, I did not know him well, he was a hard man to get to know, I guess... My grandpa passed away in late December. He slipped away quietly and quickly. We are grateful for the past few months, as he was able to do a lot of things that he hadn't felt up to doing in a long time, including visits with family. And now he is in the presence of the Lord, alongside my Grammy. Thats a good mental picture for me. Joaquin and I were able to get up to visit him in November just before a friend's wedding and we had a great time together. Grandpa seemed to be feeling good and he treated us to the "Thursday Waffle Bar" at his assisted living facility. They had yummy food and we especially enjoyed being serenaded by a man with an accordion! My mom and her sister and brother spent many hours going through my grandpa's things and this past week I received a large package in the mail chock full of some of them. Its a funny thing, really-- To know a person by familial connection, though not really knowing much beyond that, and receive some of their things. It got me thinking that our things in some ways tell a story. I gratefully unpacked doilies and lacy tabletop decor hand-made by my great grandmothers. How many tables have they adorned? How long did it take these women to stitch these? Alongside were more practical things like an air purifier and a steamer iron, and an electric carving knife. And a wooden cross. All the things that were his and now are mine are tucked neatly away into cupboards. Except the cross. It represents a legacy passed on. A good one. The cross is hung, as it should be, next to our giant world map. Our map where we like point out the countries where our missionary friends serve, the map where we ponder God's plan and His sovereign hand.
2 comments:
Oh, Jessica, it's lovely to read so many of your thoughts, the highs and the lows. Sorry to hear about your grandpa. Death is such a weird thing, but i'm glad for you that he is in heaven.
Oh, I'm so glad you're taking the Perspectives class! That will be great. It should indeed lead to action and I'll be excited to see where it leads you! :)
Love you & miss you guys!!!
Post a Comment