And then I desire company of old friends. I take advantage of the solitude and stick in my favorite dvd. "Sense and Sensibility." I've watched this movie a hundred times. or more. Return to the kitchen to throw the bacon on the skillet. I can see Marianne and Elinor when I turn away from the stovetop. Otherwise, the dialog and soundtrack help play the scenes in my mind's eye.
No doubt lured in by the smells of bacon frying, the sleepy husband shuffles in, blinded by the light on white tile. He groans softly, rubbing his eyes, and then sees breakfast. His eyes shoot open and he smiles wide with open arms, "OH BABE!! You are the BEST!!"
We sit down on the couch to enjoy the food. I purchased lap-size plastic trays from Ikea just for this type of thing. He smiles at his food and willingly begins to watch my movie. At first he is genuinely interested to know why I like this story so much. Joy of joys! It is so fun sharing a similar love for things. I set my plate down and settle in. It may take quite awhile to explain. I'm willing.

I explain to him how Elinor loves Edward, but cannot express her love for him out of a sense of propriety, as well as the fact that Edward had (in his foolish younger days) made a promise to wed a silly girl named Lucy Steele... Even though, of course, as all can see, Edward is indeed in love with Elinor. Its SO romantic and complicated. I just love the heroine of this story. I start to explain the next character entering the scene.
"Well thats dumb!" Joaquin is now plainly wearing a frown across his face.
"Huh??..." I am puzzled. Perhaps I should explain it again.
His frustration mounts as I defend these beloved characters. He starts shaking his head. "That is soo stupid! Why would anybody act like that? Edward should ditch that girl Lucy."
"But he can't, that's the whole thing... he is doing the honorable duty, Joaquin, he made a promise to Lucy and besides he does not even know at this point that Elinor loves him..." I am flustered. Why is he so disgusted? This is perhaps one of the best stories penned by Jane Austen!
"All this drama is what makes this story SO GOOD!" I try not to be offended, and continue to tell him who is who, and what each character's relationship is to the other. I'm sure he will be won over, he just needs a little more time in it.
But then it happened. That scene where Marianne kinda loses it in her bedroom in London after she finds out that the man she loves, Willoughby, was going to marry that other snobby rich girl. *Ugh* SO not fair, poor sweet Marianne! Elinor attempts to console her distraught sister, but comfort will not be found! Marianne weeps and blubbers all over the place in a great display of heartbreak and desperation. Then enters nosy, ridiculous Mrs. Jennings which only makes matters far worse. I cringe, glancing sideways at Joaquin. He rolls his eyes, obviously not convinced and fed up. After thanking me for breakfast, he gathers our empty plates and glasses, and heads out. It could have hardly been fifteen minutes.
Well. I never!... I imagine I shall continue to watch this one by myself in the future. Its better that way anyhow.
3 comments:
I am exactly the same as him. Try as I might, I just cannot do it. Sorry. :)
I love Pride and Prejudice, and I love and totally feel for Elinor, but i do think Marianne was a dingbat and totally ignored propriety. She was just a step above the youngest Bennet girl! ;-)
I like this post! I'm jealous of your kitchen, and I totally get Sense and Sensibility...
Post a Comment