Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Curls

Well, we have been at the new place a few days and I have several observations:

1. We are going to really love this place and it already feels quite homey... Thanks to the hard work of many of our friends.

2. Our kitchen is fabulous--SO much more counter space. I plan to cook many large meals there for all the great people in our lives! And I love that there is no tile grout to keep clean.

3. I probably won't get over the washer & dryer for a long while. Each time I open the laundry space doors, my heart leaps in delight.

4. The traffic outside our front door is louder than we expected. People told us this might happen. Thankfully, we have double-paned windows up front, but we enjoy keeping them open when the weather is cool outside. Plus, we just really like fresh air and open windows. I tell Joaquin (and myself) that the cars driving by sound like ocean waves. Occasionally when a semi truck drives by, it sounds like it may come through the front door. I suppose we will get used to this. When I lived in Oregon, in a lovely little Cape Cod style home on 16th street, my dear redheaded roomie and I lived just a couple blocks from the train tracks. I'm not sure about her, but I grew to love the sound of the trains. Especially on a foggy evening. Have I told you that I love fog? Fog and trains go together like buttered sourdough toast and apricot jam.

5. There are so many projects. I am constantly mentally prioritizing them. We want to tear out the ugly fluorescent light fixtures in the bathroom, vanity, and kitchen. The ginormous weed/plant on the patio needs to be pulled. The barbecue must be thoroughly cleaned. We inherited it from the previous owners. It is fairly new, but currently a spider family has taken up residence. That, and a ton of dust. A reasonably priced rug for the family room must be found to cover the surround sound wires and the light-colored carpet. And the list goes on and on. I know, "Welcome to home ownership," right?

6. I love that my husband is about one of the friendliest men on the planet. Otherwise I might never meet the neighbors. He has met quite a few of them already and has even introduced himself to our garbage man. Joaquin encourages and challenges me to reach out to people.

PS. Michele, I still have your curlers, as you can see. Thank-you. :) I plan to return them soon!

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

I can't wait to see it, yahoo! :)

Kristin said...

me too! Yeah for a new home! :)

Michele said...

I love the curls! Keep those things as long as you need! And, I'm so excited you're enjoying your new home! How's the tile project coming along?