
I can finally can say that I've "experienced" an earthquake. Living in California practically my whole life and
never having felt an earthquake, I've always felt that I was not a
true Californian. I mean, really... Now I most certainly am. And this is my story: I was at work when it happened and the hanging overhead fluorescent lights precariously swung back and forth. All my file drawers rattled and you could hear women's squeals throughout the building. Its quirky, I know, but I have often wondered what my natural response would be in various emergency situations. During this quake, I hardly moved, plastering myself up against my tall file drawers (dumb). I absolutely did not know what to do. It was such a bizarre feeling. Yes, I quickly recalled the drills from elementary school where we were taught to dive under our desks. But my desk, as sturdy as it may be, did not look all that inviting. Maybe it was all the dust bunnies. My instinct was to run toward the exit. That's no good either. By the time I thought it all out, the quake was over and everyone in our department had erupted in laughter. Most likely in relief.
Joaquin was lifeguarding when it "hit." Doesn't that sound so dramatic? He was responsible for getting all the bewildered children out of the pool. Those happy clams in the pool did not feel a thing. The parents lounging out of the water certainly did and responded in panic. This makes me think, "Was I in water when all the other earthquakes have hit CA in my lifetime?" Most likely not. It would have been a good, and therefor legit, excuse. Ah, me.
I have survived an earthquake. I am Californian.
PS. I came home to picture frames askew on the wall and a few jostled items on the floor. Nothing broken.
1 comment:
This cracked me up. I've 'survived' several CA earthquakes as well as a WA one. Aren't they weird?!
Post a Comment