
We have had some delicious and ripe peaches lately. I just love peaches. Like, a whole lot. You can do so much to them, and I like them in all forms: jam, syrup, cobbler, frozen in smoothies, ice cream toppers, pie (oh MY! how I love peach pie)... Peaches always remind me of my sweet Grandma Joy. She is good at a great many things. It helps that God gave her two green thumbs. Plants love her and she coaxes trees to grow apples when they should be growin plums and things like that. I grew up thinking grandma had magical powers. For example, I was disinterested at best by tomatoes as a kid, that was until I found the red and yellow beauties growing in her garden. I could eat those straight from the bush. Yum! You cannot find them in the stores like that. I wish I knew where to get them... But getting back to the peaches... She and grandpa have a nice piece of property, plenty big for a large garden a smallish orchard and a sprawling green house with enough bedrooms to sleep oodles of grandkids. There are a lot of special things about that home--so many good childhood memories. They grew peach trees in the back of the house. And OH, the peaches! Grandma canned a lot of them and she would also make the most delicious freezer jam from them. I would stand by the kitchen counter and watch her fold and pound as she made a loaf of yeast-y homemade bread. Just fresh out of the oven, she'd cut me a piece and put a little butter on it and then I'd spread that divine peach goodness on top and you'd think I'd died and gone to heaven. It was almost better than chocolate. Yes, I said it. Chocolate.
2 comments:
i noticed you said, "almost" better than chocolate!
i have a similar memory of my mom's homemade strawberry jam on top of her homemade, hot-out-of-the-oven bread. it doesn't get much better here on this earth!
So fun to read about my same childhood experience with Grandma Joy...Clara has two Grandma Joy's, Owen's mom also named Joy...but she does not have peach trees nor does she have the capabilities like our grandma of making something out of nothing. It will be fun to see her create peachy memmories for Clara Joy in a different form! Love reading the blog.
Post a Comment