Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Need to hear somethin?

Goodness me. I am just flat out amazed when God meets me right where I'm at. He knows what I need even before I do, and today I needed this: Lori Salierno on Focus on the Family

I listen to this radio show every morning on the way to work and I have been so encouraged and challenged by it. I love that the show gives me much to chew on, and "feeds me" on my way to work. That half hour drive time has purpose. I love purpose. I have a Purpose Driven car. haha. Ok, bad joke.

One of my favorite things in life is when I can see how God is trying to teach me something new by weaving common themes together. It may look like a Scripture verse that pops up day after day; once in a song, the next day in a devotional, or from the "pulpit" on Sunday. Lately, no, its been much longer than that-- I struggle with knowing what God has gifted me for in ministry. I want to live and work within that place that makes me feel more alive, and more totally myself. Its a place of freedom, creativity and fulfillment. Mom calls this a person's "sweet spot." There are days I ache to know what that sweet spot is for me. In my mind I see

So, lately? The message I've been hearing loud and clear from the Lord is to be faithful in what I have to give today, as in right now. To be available. To make each minute count. To give up my will (that it always feels right) and surrender to God's will. It is there, in this good place of obedience, that I will find fulfillment, even if it isn't doing what feels most comfy or natural.

From the radio show today, Lori Salierno tells the story of Jesus asking for the little boy's lunch. Jesus was planning to do a miracle with the meager fish and barley bread meal; he planned to feed the multitude with it! What was required was the willingness of this poor little boy to give up what he had that day. Jesus works mightily through our weakness. In our humanity, we feel most comfortable working within our strengths, our "sweet spot," if you will. Lori says that God simply desires that we are willing to give Him what is in our hands, "Do I have your lunch?" Meaning: will you let me use what you have?

Today I will choose to answer, "Yes, Lord, yes!"

1 Corinthians 1:26-32 (English Standard Version)

26For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

1 comment:

Liz Harrell said...

I feel that God has been teaching me 'in the moment' contentment. So often I feel the pull of what I want for the future, my concerns for others. But true happiness, true peace is thanking God for 'the now'. It's so hard. :)