Saturday, September 13, 2008

Saturday Breakfast

You know what is one of my favorite things lately? Getting up early on a Saturday morning, before my hubby, and just doing whatever. I love the place all quiet and all mine, with the security of knowing that he is sleeping peacefully in the adjacent room. This comes as a shock to my mother, who has never known me to willingly get up early for a weekend day with no plans. But its just so nice, now. I did have plans, however... plans to clean the kitchen and make coffee and prepare a new breakfast dish, which was... AMAZING. The recipe for the Savory Bread Pudding is here.

Here is a picture of my results:
Aren't the plates pretty? I got them at Target this week on clearance! So exciting. If any of you knows how to hang a largish square plate, do tell. The only hanger thingies I have seen are for round plates. And ok, I did not follow the recipe perfectly. I used what I had on hand. Instead of plain yogurt, I used buttermilk that I have been needing to be rid of. And instead of colby jack cheese, I substituted half cheddar and half monterey jack. Yum.

I actually "halfed" the recipe, as I had suspicions that Joaquin would not love it. I still dished him up a plate, after he woke up, as I had worked so hard at it. He had to at least try it, you know? That's a value in our family. I guessed correctly. The flavor was great, he said, but the texture... He has this thing with texture. Mostly when it comes to anything involving eggs. Darn. There are SO many delish breakfast dishes that involve eggs. Oh well, more for me!